Wednesday, November 27, 2013

Don't Let the Seasons Pass You By

Don't Let the Seasons Pass You By

It is almost Thanksgiving, so I thought I should get up a post about Halloween!  I think this was the first year Josh did not have a costume.  That is kind of sad to me. . .Joseph still went trick or treating, although several of his friends chose not to as they are getting "older".  I am not sure what will happen next year.  Thank goodness I still have a few years to take Jordan out. Even if I parse out the candy until February, it is still an activity the kids look forward to.  Halloween is fun, but it can also be a very "gimme gimme" holiday.  Since Josh was young, we have tried to carry on a tradition which has not happened every year, but most years at least to some extent.  We pick a few houses that we go trick or treating to and we also give them a treat.  It has been something simple like a loaf of bread or some microwave popcorn with a note.  That way, there is still some element of giving to the situation.  I would hope it is a tradition the kids would carry on with their own families, but at least it is assuaging my guilt for sending my kids begging door to door.


Josh and Jordan are working on carving the pumpkins. Yes, they are pumpkins, or maybe just "squash." The color is definitely not pumpkin color, but it beat spray painting watermelons orange.


Jordan and her American Girl doll both wanted to be ghosts, so I made them matching costumes.

 "Do you like my stretchy pants?"  (Nacho Libre) When we were in Mexico this summer, each of the kids got a luchador mask. Joseph is sporting his now.


This is my attempt at creating fall here in the Mideast.  I had hoped to actually buy several more pumpkins at the fruit and vegetable market., but they did not have them this year--until 2 weeks after Halloween.  I was lucky to find these.  Jordan's is the pumpkin on top, but that was probably obvious by the bow she insisted be carved on its head.  Josh's, on the bottom left,  is a Pokemon character named Apsol.  Joseph's is the Pokeball on the right.  This was actually a hot spot of the night.  Carving pumpkins is quite a novelty here, so several people took pictures as they were out trick or treating.  They also posed their kids in front of it to take their pictures.  So maybe my humble little pumpkin patch will be famous after all.

1 comment:

  1. Wow, Jen! You even were able to get some hay bales! Very cool! Love from Saint George, Utah.

    ReplyDelete